Thursday, October 27, 2005

That was my Simchat Torah

Rosh HaShana: Come and gone.
Yom Kippur: Come and gone.
Sukkot: Come and gone.
Simchat Torah: Come and gone.
Mar Cheshvan? On the way.

Should I cry now or wait until the middle of Cheshvan?

I spent Simchat Torah at my friend Chaya in Brooklyn. Chaya and I were sisters in high school because for some reason the exact same things would happen to us at the exact same time or at exactly opposite times. Um...yeah. So anyway, it was a lot of fun staying over at her house. Even though her mother tries stuffing me with food because she thinks I'm anorexic. And even though her family discusses my vegetarianism at every meal. And even though Chaya always makes me do my own linen (this time I made her sheet my blanket).

Simchat Torah night we walked to our friend Shayna's shul, since we were eating at Shayna's house. We (Shayna, Chaya, Michal (who walked over too), and I) were going to walk to their friends around the corner after the meal. My hair, however, decided that it had had enough and would look disgusting even though I didn't want it to. Shayna willingly lent me a clip to put my hair up with and up it went. After coming back to the (dessert laden) table, Shayna complimented me on my neck. I cannot be more honest than I am about to be by saying this: I nearly went into shock.

I happen to have an abnormally long neck. It's pretty strange in pictures when I come out looking like I'm shoving my face into the camera. Also, I once did back-to-back with my 5'2 cousin and our shoulders lined up perfectly...which would put my extra 3 inches of height into my neck. But I never think people notice it because it's just one of those things that people don't notice. But alas, Shayna did. Shayna might be far from a tall, hairy, dark-haired, smart Jewish guy (sigh...), but a compliment is a compliment and I'd take one any day on anything!

Then on Simchat Torah morning, Chaya and I were talking about how impatient we get with indecisive people and how similar we are that we are both very bossy and tend toward being attracted to guys who are even bossier when Chaya, in all her quotable genius, said, "I need someone to tell me where and when we're meeting so that I can say, 'yes, master.'" Yes, yes indeed. :)

After our meal with both Chaya's married siblings + families over, we made a little contest called "let's see who can stay awake longer reading boring material for school." We ended up cancelling the contest because at about 5ish Nukes and Ben walked over. I think Chaya's mother will make Ben come in my place from now on because he kept eating and she is the most Jewishy Jewish mother ever.

And Ben gave me a little stuffed Torah doll!

The end.


*+*+*+*+*
Rosh HaShana, Yom Kippur, Sukkot, and Simchat Torah are all Jewish holidays.
Mar Cheshvan: The Jewish month (we use a lunar calendar) of Cheshvan is the only Jewish month without a single holiday, so it's referred to as "mar Cheshvan" because mar means bitter in Hebrew.

6 original thoughts out there

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm a very indecisive person. but i let other people make decsions for me. it makes things easier on everyone. especially those who are impatient.

Thursday, October 27, 2005 11:08:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm curious as to what the women shul-goers get out of sitting and watching the men dance... seriously.

I would be bored outta my skull since there is a tendency in most shuls to do the deadman/geriatric shuffle for 2 hours.

Yehuda

Thursday, October 27, 2005 11:34:00 AM  
Blogger BrownsvilleGirl said...

THE PAPER AIRPLANES!

Also, you probably lost Mancala because you and Chaya don't know how to play correctly.

Yehuda--there are many shuls where women dance in their own groups. Another thing is that there are many ways to express simcha, not only through dance. In Orthodox circles, men usually do things in more public ways and women do in more private ways. I know of shuls where the women have like a shiur or something downstairs while the men dance upstairs. But for single girls who are too old to dance with the men, it's boring...which is why my friends and I hung out together and not even in shul. :)

Thursday, October 27, 2005 12:33:00 PM  
Blogger ifyouwillit... said...

I spent chag in a shul where women danced, and carried a sefer torah too. It depends on each community I guess.

Thursday, October 27, 2005 12:46:00 PM  
Blogger _ said...

cinnamon-- i'm forced to agree with you and your long neck hypothesis. upon examination of your picture, i must contend that you do indeed have a freakishly giraffe-esque neck.

and that's what makes you so unique!

i hate parents who think someone is anorexic. unless, of course, that person is anorexic, in which case id reverse my hatred, because i hate anorexic people.

i love how you need to add footnotes to your blog to explain the jewish to your potential non-yiddin readers. it reads like a 7th grade english textbook with definitions for hard words.

Friday, October 28, 2005 12:59:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks... I've been in one shul where the girls had their own hakofos... that's the BAYT in Thornhill, Ontario. Seems like the right thing to do.

Yehuda

Saturday, October 29, 2005 10:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger Listed on BlogShares