Monday, June 26, 2006

"A Nova," He Repeated

I sat at a table in a hallway at school working on today's crossword puzzle. The hint for 3-down was "exploding star" and I stared at the blank boxes. Nova. I knew that the last four letters had to be nova. The first five, however, I just couldn't get. After moving on to other hints, I noticed my Astro lab professor walk behind me and go for a drink from the vending machine. He selected a drink and knelt to get it out when it came. I pretended to fill in some other squares. He got up and started walking behind me again and I turned around.
"Professor, what do you call an exploding star?"
"A nova."
"No, no, I know that. But what kind of nova?"
"A nova."
"And one that explodes?"
"Is this for your...?" He pointed to my puzzle.
"Yeah."
"Supernova. A supernova is a star that explodes."
I thanked him and filled it in. He walked away and I realized that I should've figured it out on my own.

1 original thoughts out there

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is actually evil since
"black hole" would also fit into the spaces and i bet people would get confused between implosion and explosion. Wait, in crosswords are you allowed to use two words if they are hyphened -- even if in this case we leave the hyphen out.

Friday, June 30, 2006 2:07:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger Listed on BlogShares