Monday, July 18, 2005

Daisy Miller

"That'll be $48.75."
I looked across the counter at the too-thin clerk and passed my credit card into his bony hand. Just six books for only one class. I silently thanked God that the response the man downstairs had to my request, "and if you have any in hardcover, I'd like that please," had been a simple, "we don't."
The clerk put my receipt into a green Shakespeare & Co. bag along with my purchase, and handed it to me saying, "next in line, please!"
I took my bag and ran outside. Bookstores make me high sometimes. I once spent close to two hours in Shakespeare trying to figure out how they had the nerve to put Cooking the Carb-Free Way! in the same corner as Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I'm pretty sure they went through an entire Coldplay album while I was in there that time.
Later today, I went into the bookstore again to purchase books for my second class. I was in and out of there as quickly as I was the first time. Again they had no hardcovers of the books I needed, and again it cost me 40-something dollars.
For tomorrow, I have to read Henry James' Daisy Miller and the first act of The Merchant of Venice. Wish me luck.

2 original thoughts out there

Blogger Mesiach said...

secretly henry james is one of my favorite authors...i dont know why but i saw the turn of the screw once acted out in central park, once in a theater in manhattan, once in massachusetts (or however you spell that state) and once i played the little molested boy,,,i guess i never got out of that role...that was a joke...please dont take offense. sorry :)

Tuesday, July 19, 2005 12:26:00 AM  
Blogger BrownsvilleGirl said...

Oh then you MUST see The Innocents! Steve--rent it and we'll watch it in Washington together!!!

Tuesday, July 19, 2005 12:50:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger Listed on BlogShares