Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Just So You Know...

I went on a shidduch* date recently. The guy, while interesting, was totally not for me. My mother just told me this morning that she spoke to the shadchan* who told her that when he called, he let her know that he didn't think I was for him and he got the sense that I felt the same way. My mother, of course, told me that I have to be a little more polite. So now I pose the question: How poised would you be if the first time you met someone they were to tell you that your Zeide* was their mohel*? Seriously! I can smile like a doofus for anyone, I can make pleasant conversation if I try, but hold my own when faced with that? I told my mother that he said that and equated it to a, "I was in staying at your mother's house the first time I got my period!" But I really was polite...


***My Glossary of Jewish Terms***
shidduch: when used as an adj., shidduch date means a date with a stranger someone set you up with
shadchun: matchmaker (usage note: this does not only apply to professional matchmakers, but can even be applied to a friend who set you up with someone)
Zeide: Grandfather in Yiddish
mohel: a person who performs circumcisions

6 original thoughts out there

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh man.

so, i was dating this guy in high school for like a month, and my mom decided she wanted to meet his parents. as his mother and my mother are standing there talking, my mother realized that she and my boyfriend's mother went to summer camp together. as if that were not bad enough, his grandmother comes out and starts talking to my mother. as it turns out, my grandfather, was his grandfather's suprior officer right before world war II. as you can imagine, our relationship didn't last.

while this is not as embarassing as having your grandfather be his mohel, for a teenager, this was quite tramatizing.

Wednesday, July 27, 2005 4:47:00 PM  
Blogger Mesiach said...

actually dina your zeide was the mohel of at least 3 people at the conference.....

Wednesday, July 27, 2005 5:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dina, as one half (one third?) of PB&J shidduchs, i think it's only right that you let me find you a guy... who did not have your grandfather as a mohel.

Thursday, July 28, 2005 10:28:00 AM  
Blogger BrownsvilleGirl said...

Aaaahaahhahahahaha! Steve--how are you privy to this info? And Tova, I don't mind if my Zeide was my husband's mohel...I mind if a stranger tells me this!

Thursday, July 28, 2005 1:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you ask me it would be kinda cool to date a guy who was circumsized by your zeide. Think, he got his hands on the guy's Johnson before you did! It's like blessed territory! Ok, that's a wierd concept, but not aaaall that far fetched, right?

Friday, July 29, 2005 3:27:00 PM  
Blogger BrownsvilleGirl said...

Ian...guess what I found!

I just found that picture you and I took with the Vagina Carnival sign last night!!!

Hehe, just wait until I scan that baby.

Friday, July 29, 2005 3:45:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger Listed on BlogShares