Friday, July 22, 2005

Quotes of the Day

On Fame
"I guess I've gained minor celebrity status in the blogosphere. I'm like the Gary Busey of the Jewish blog scene."
-Randy

With Shabbos Comes Menucha
"I love it that the most amount of Jews all week on my buddylist are right before Shabbos...They want to get the last amount of electricity before it stops."
-Steve

7 original thoughts out there

Blogger Ellie Creek Ellis said...

ummm, because i'm not a jew, should i discontinue my visits and comments?

Saturday, July 23, 2005 11:07:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No way!!!

Saturday, July 23, 2005 11:14:00 PM  
Blogger BrownsvilleGirl said...

Haha! No, Ms. Ellie...sorry. I think I should put a little Ms. Ellie Glossary at the bototm of each post.

Shabbos is the Sabbath. Those who observe the Sabbath in the Orthodox way don't use electricity then. If a light's on in a room from before the Sabbath, that's fine. But no one would turn a computer on...

Saturday, July 23, 2005 11:47:00 PM  
Blogger Ellie Creek Ellis said...

okay, ty, i want to be here and read, it is great but i am SOOOOO in the dark! haha, ok, dumb joke. anyway, yes, if you don't mind, put a little ellie glossary for me, i would really appreciate it! do you mind if i ask WHY on some of these glossary terms? like....why no electricity on the Sabbath and this is Saturday, right?

Sunday, July 24, 2005 2:03:00 AM  
Blogger BrownsvilleGirl said...

Sabbath is Saturday, which is the seventh day of the week. Since it's a day of rest, one is not permitted to do work. "Doing work" includes creating something. You can't turn on electricity because it is like lighting a fire or, even more simply, creating something. Like I mentioned earlier, if there is already electricity on (an air conditioner set on a timer, a light in a room), you can use it. You just can't turn it on or off.

You're welcome to ask any questions, I just hope I don't miss something in my answers. :)

Sunday, July 24, 2005 3:41:00 AM  
Blogger BrownsvilleGirl said...

Oh! And "menucha" means restful peace.

Sunday, July 24, 2005 4:10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

which reminds me, weren't we going to do a hillel shabbaton (religious retreat) of sorts?

Sunday, July 24, 2005 10:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger Listed on BlogShares