Friday, August 12, 2005

But I Looooove Food!

One day on the bus this week, Miryam told over an interesting conversation she had with a few girls who were in this training program with her. One said something along the lines of, "uch, I got so fat in Israel, I have to lose weight." The girl who said that was half the size of our friend Chaya (according to Miryam's report). Our friend Chaya is about 5'2 or 5'1 with a smaller bone structure than myself. But, granted, this girl probably just didn't fit into her old clothes.
The other girl said, "uch, I know a girl who went to Israel. She mamish got fat--she wears a 10 now--and she didn't even try to lose it! And she was a 6 before, now she's a 10 and she didn't even try!"
Mir looked at her and said, "well, maybe she's comfortable with her body even now and doesn't feel that it's necessary to lose the weight."
"Yeah, but she was a 6. It's such a shame."
"But is it a shame if she feels comfortable and happy with herself when she looks in the mirror?"*

Then, along comes Yeshiva Bachur. How did I find his blog? There's a link to punks on it. What do I read? A post called "Love?". He says, "She happens to be a little too well rounded for what I hoped my future wife would be. A little too much extra goodness in the wrong places. B'H her personality outshines this small disturbance and I am going to try all my might to ignore it. No girl is perfect. (Or boy, of course)." Why do I care? Because I'm obsessed with the pressure people feel to look like sticks. Not that it's blatant, but if you're not thinner than the next girl, your pickings are lessened.

Miryam told those two girls that she was shocked herself, but that when she came to Hunter she discovered that guys actually preferred girls with a little extra meat in any place over cardboard thin girls. SURPRISE! Even though she always thought that the most attractive girl is the skinniest girl, in the actual real world--it's not true! So, that's that.


*Please note that this conversation is not factually correct. Miryam told it over to me (she probably got it word for word), but I'm just giving a reenactment from paraphrased version I put into my memory. If you want the real account speak to Mir.

5 original thoughts out there

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehe. i was gonna correct you, but you put up a disclaimer. thanks.

Friday, August 12, 2005 11:20:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, & holding onto love handles is our idea of practicing "safe sex."

Friday, August 12, 2005 12:17:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we should make t-shirts that say "real girls have bodies!" or something along those lines.

inspired by randy - "real men like curves."

randy you also forgot that sephardis can dance! it's the whole hip hop/r&b thing.

Sunday, August 14, 2005 12:01:00 AM  
Blogger BrownsvilleGirl said...

Why oh why is there no direct link?

Go to feedlindsay and check out the tees at the bottom! Tova, I called dibs on the iEat one. You have to ask Randy for a different one. :)

Sunday, August 14, 2005 12:10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have no interest in girls who would break if you picked them up and twirled them. G'head, rock them curves!

Wednesday, August 24, 2005 2:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger Listed on BlogShares