Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Oh, It's Over

And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt.
Sylvia Plath.

I'm in a terribly bad mood.

Another enemy of creativity is censorship. When I was editor-in-chief of my high school literary journal, I had to submit something. Since the theme was NYC, the poem I wrote went like this:

My foot hits the ground
And the impact reverberates
In my blank mind
As I put my other
Foot down I raise
The first to keep to the beat
Of the nature around me
Away from the traffic,
Exhaust, and rush -
Surrounded by grass,
Trees, and birds -
Where New Yorkers look around
And New York minutes seem like forever
I feel at home
in Central Park.

There was a "running" right after "home," but it was taken out after my principal told me that it's not tznius to get an image of a girl running in Central Park. I figured that if the imagery was strong enough to project that, the word was superfluous.

Anyway, my parents found jewfood and aren't pleased. Does this mean I'll now censor what I write so that they approve of my language and chosen content? Maybe. Does this mean I'll now stop posting on jewfood? Maybe. Does this mean I've shattered that terribly inaccurate persona I've created for myself as The Perfect Daughter? Hahahahha! I forgot...I never did accomplish that one.

I shall simply sip my coffee now and go back to the school work at hand.

3 original thoughts out there

Blogger Pragmatician said...

There's no such thing as a perfect daughter or son. The only way to accomplish that is by being exactly like our father/mother was at 18 , in addition to live the dreams they had at that age.
They wouldn’t even dare use a script featuring perfectly happy parents for the next “Mission Impossible” movie, since no one would buy it.
Parents are never completely satisfied no matter what you do and how good you’re doing it.

So don't feel bad about that.

Tuesday, August 02, 2005 4:24:00 AM  
Blogger BrownsvilleGirl said...

I'm 20. My mother got married a month before her 20th birthday. As for my father...well, I'm not quite sure what he was up to when he was my age. So there's that.

But thanks. :)

Tuesday, August 02, 2005 4:39:00 AM  
Blogger Mesiach said...

Dina just tell your parents your Jewish that always makes people smile :)..The way you usually talk about your parents you make them to be really amazing people, just ease them into the vast conspiracy of jewfood....

Tuesday, August 02, 2005 9:26:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger Listed on BlogShares