Wednesday, August 10, 2005

I Still Think He Just Didn't Get Fat

You know how despite having an adult body and (hopefully) matured brain, people can reduce you to feeling like a teeny tiny five year-old again just by shaking their heads back and forth and saying, "Dina, Dina, Dina," and possibly adding, "what are we going to do with you?" Well, in class yesterday, we were discussing Theodore Dreiser's Sister Carrie. There's a line where Mr. Hurstwood's wife is thinking that her husband is still physically worthy of her affections, but no longer socially worthy. My teacher paused to ask the class what they thought that meant, since he couldn't really figure it out. I raised my hand right away--here was a sentence I had my own difficulty with and subsequently figured out my own explanation to.
"I think she just means he didn't let himself go."
"Let himself go? Like, leave?"
"Um, no, I mean like get fat."
At this, my teacher gave me one of those, "Dina, Dina, Dina," looks and started laughing, repeating to himself, "get fat." And I turned all red and felt like a third grader in a college classroom.

2 original thoughts out there

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think your teacher felt like an idiot because you figured out somehtign he could not and his immediate reaction was to transfer those inferior feeligns to someone else so that he doesnt seeem moronic to his class. Or maybe HE already let himself go and didn't want to draw attention to his love handles so he drew attention to you instead. Or maybe not. I don't know.

Wednesday, August 10, 2005 5:26:00 PM  
Blogger BrownsvilleGirl said...

Nah, my prof is cool. And he's tall and lanky. And he goes to the gym still, too.

Thursday, August 11, 2005 12:03:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger Listed on BlogShares