Sunday, June 19, 2005

Total Nerd

I am such a nerd that Friday night I started reading Strunk and White's The Elements of Style again. I think I need to brush up on my grammar; I feel it slipping away. For example, I had no idea that when using "one of..." as the subject, the verb is written in plural. Who knew that the sentence is "one of the girls will have to wear red" and not, "one of the girls has to wear red?"

I felt the need to remind myself of the basics when I saw a flyer at Hunter reading:
Spell-check is not enough!
Improve your writing skills now!
Writing Tutor/Style Coach available
And then, farther down the page, is the sentence: Hunter College English graduate with honors and prize-winning writer.
I promise, I do not make these things up. As a matter of fact, I don't even know how to make stuff like this up!

1 original thoughts out there

Anonymous Anonymous said...

English, the language you speak is. I tkink I'll pick up my copy too...and start reading it for the first time.

Sunday, June 19, 2005 3:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger Listed on BlogShares