Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Long Skirts and Longing for Something Else

While taking a walk with my father the other day, he asked me if I noticed the article in the New York Times about longs skirt seen around Times Square. That article was in the paper about a month ago, I told him. But he denied my accusation that he was behind the times by telling me that it was in the paper that morning. And indeed, it was.
It seems that the New York Times has an article about long skirts being fashionable at least once a week now. What each article has in common is that the women interviewed feel feminine and good about themselves. What none of the articles have is an opinion from a woman who always wears long skirts--whether they’re fashionable or not. What they’re all missing is the opinion of someone like me.
As an Orthodox Jewess, I don’t wear pants. Not only that, but all my skirts cover my knees (more or less). The fact that skirts are in vogue is ironically not a blessing for me. All it means is that come next season, I’ll look passé. While I used to think I looked like I had my own stylish opinion about things, now I think I just look…typical.
The reason for my covering up is modesty and modesty doesn’t only apply to the lower regions of the body. I tend to wear tops with about as much coverage as long skirts offer as well. I just can’t find a single shirt that covers anything more than either a belly or a shoulder. To offset the modesty of these long, stylish skirts in stores today are a series of halters, tube tops, and “camis.” To offset my own dissatisfaction with the lack of wearable tops offered me this season, I have seasons-old, three-quarter sleeve sweaters and button-down shirts.
Oh, I’d try convincing you of how very cool it looks to wear stiff button-down shirts with free-flowing skirts, but it’d be too obvious a lie. Besides, at least my combo isn’t the typical.

11 original thoughts out there

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Every couple of years, I go back into style. excpet that i never changed my style. ;-)

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 11:00:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

girls are so shallow, we need a replacement.

-haha

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 11:21:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you can always go gay, moish

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 1:43:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

push me any further and i may

-as of now still straight flashed

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 4:05:00 PM  
Blogger BrownsvilleGirl said...

I don't get it--girls are shallow because...
we wear skirts?
we read the New York Times?
we remember articles that we read months ago?
Help me out Moishele--I'm totally confused!

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 7:04:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Moish, I don't really care if you go gay. really, there's nothing wrong with it. If you find you can't be compatable with a girl and would rather be with a guy, it's probably better that way. and it's better you found this out before you tried touching a girl too...could have been an awkward situation and traumatized her for life.

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 10:35:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

browngirl - u guys are obsessive about your clothes and the way you look. As if you have nothin better to do than shop and spend dady's money. your biggest concern is that you would wear last years fashion, oh no, not last years fashion. heck, i thought we all about "dust to dust", who gives a bleep how we look. no offense, im sure ull never talk to me again for putting it this way, but u forced me to say this. and remembering useless NY Times articles makes u a good memorizer, thts about it.

mir (yeshiva or space station?)- ok, thanks for the encouragement. actually i was thinking more like improved 21st century technology digital and cyber blow up dolls. probably cheaper in the long run. no nagging, expenses, STDs or unwanted children involved. are u relating any personal experiences? well im sorry for ure pain.

well i guess i should stop here being in over my head and all

-crazy moishele ("male power")

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 11:06:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

q: what is the only thing hotter than an O-girl in an ankle-length denim skirt?

a: an O-girl OUT of an ankle-length denim skirt!

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 11:40:00 PM  
Blogger BrownsvilleGirl said...

I'm terribly sorry Moishele for your loss of critical thinking, but I think you've been brainwashed by the media and or other things into thinking that all women are as shallow as you think. When speaking about a topic, it is customary for one to embellish. And so I did when writing about skirts. My chosen topic was skirts, my objective to draw attention to the stupidity surrounding the articles written about them all too often, and my reason for this is because I was provoked by yet another skirt article. That is all. I do not sit around dreaming of how I look while having my nails done at spas because quite frankly, I just don't give that much of a damn. If you had thought for a minute after reading what I wrote, I'm sure all that would have come naturally to you because you're a smart boy. But you didn't think. The response you gave is of someone who just spits out preconceived ideas formulated by cookie-cutter ideas presented to you by others. Good luck in the real world and think twice before you cry wolf about a girl being shallow.

Thursday, June 16, 2005 12:43:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you know whats almost as hot as a gilr in a skirt? a guy in fitted jeans with nice shoes. right, deens?

Thursday, June 16, 2005 10:50:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow moeshe i expected a little more from you than that baseless rant.... And i agree with Doni about how long skirts are classy and yet sexy at the same time.. There is a certain atmosphere surronding girls (i wont mention names) that just makes them seem elegant....and moshe trying being a little nicer..what happend to you? did u go to a frat party your FRESHMAN year and somthing un explained happend?

Thursday, June 16, 2005 1:19:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger Listed on BlogShares