Friday, September 09, 2005

I Hate Fiction!

Can I kvetch a bit?

I signed up for an Advanced Prose Workshop this semester thinking it would be just that--prose. As it turns out, my teacher wants (just) fiction from us and now I'm stuck writing fiction.

I hate writing stories. I hate creating characters. And I hate when writing becomes a chore to me. I have no sense of plot development and quite frankly, I find plots a bore. As a reader who is a lot more interested in character development and rants on particular topics (I know I'm weird, but I do prefer non-fiction to fiction), I most enjoy writing similarly.

Once I told Logan that I can pretty much out bs anyone. I told him to give me a topic and that I would make conversation about it. He gave me a few very obscure topics (one was a metal latch--I forgot the one word used for that) and I did splendidly. I really wish this were an essay writing class.

And now I shall return to writing about crickets and my own life under the guise of fiction.

7 original thoughts out there

Anonymous Anonymous said...

BVG:

I am just the opposite. While I cannot rant on any subject, I can create a story using any word as my starting point. I hate non-fiction. I soak up quality fiction. I love characters and plot development.

Can we still be friends?

Friday, September 09, 2005 2:10:00 PM  
Blogger BrownsvilleGirl said...

Haha! Of course, Elster. :)

Friday, September 09, 2005 2:48:00 PM  
Blogger MC Aryeh said...

As a fiction writer (but who also likes non-fiction) thems fighting words!! If you hate plot so much, can't you write fiction without plot? It seems to work for most of the Hollywood screenwriters....just call it post-post-modern or something..

Friday, September 09, 2005 3:52:00 PM  
Blogger BrownsvilleGirl said...

Oh, I've written stories without plots...and they suck. :)

Friday, September 09, 2005 4:53:00 PM  
Blogger BrownsvilleGirl said...

Thanks, but that part you read...wasn't fiction! :)

Sunday, September 11, 2005 10:51:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just write abt stuff u normally would and use pretend names. Then, it's fiction.

Sunday, September 11, 2005 8:11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if you're going to do that, can i be shira princess of power? or rainbow bright. actually make me gene from x-men. and i request a really cool super powers and a designer costume. not just tights over tightie whites, that are actually red.

Monday, September 12, 2005 10:05:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger Listed on BlogShares