Sunday, December 04, 2005

When I Hear the Allman Brothers, Then I Know It'll Be a Good Day

Something felt oddly out of place this Friday as I drove across the bridge. I thought that perhaps it was my music, and started rifling through my tapes (yes, I drive a '97) to find a new one. The Allman Brothers--Second Set sat there in my hand looking at me and saying, "you know you want it, you know you need it, you know you loooooove it too much to resist!"

Listening to my Allman Brothers tape is not that simple, though. I found it in the $1 bin at the local library already used and almost dead. I've listened to it so many times since that it's past its last leg--it's a goner. But as I drove the car off the bridge and onto the Palisades, I rationalized that a dying tape is worth the same as a dead tape if never used and I might as well sqeal the tape to its death now than wait for some other day to do the same thing.

The tape died somewhere around exit 9w and I turned the radio on after a brief mourning period. Weeeeeeeeeeeeell, my Momma died and left me. My Poppa died and left me. I ain't good looking baby, but I'm somewhat sweet and kind. I'm goin' to the country, baby do you wanna go? And with that, I was happy.

3 original thoughts out there

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you had me scared for a second there when you said "i drove off the bridge" before "and onto the palisades. ' i was like, where's she going with this?

Sunday, December 04, 2005 4:39:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You forgot the concluding stanza, "If you can't make it baby, your sister Lucille says she wanna go." Because it's not a true blues song unless the referenced female interest is threatened with the defection of her man for her sister. See also "Red House."

Sunday, December 04, 2005 5:32:00 PM  
Blogger BrownsvilleGirl said...

Michael, I'll be honest: I couldn't write that because it's my favorite line.

To blog it would just...cheapen it too much. :)

Monday, December 05, 2005 1:46:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger Listed on BlogShares