Thursday, January 26, 2006

I Like Weird Foods Sometimes

A friend of mine works a couple of blocks from Hunter, so we do lunch on occasion. “Doing lunch” in our terms means that I make lunches for the two of us and then we sit in the office kitchen (or boss’s, rather, because the office is in his house) and eat together. Today’s lunch was a wrap made with cheese, Dijon, pickles, tomatoes, and Terra chips for him and a whole wheat pita with chummus and pickles for me. Today’s lunch was “a little weird,” I was told. (It was so completely not weird, I don't know why he even thought so.)
Now, I’ll be frank--there’s pretty much only one thing that bothers me more than stickers stuck to furniture and that’s when people aren’t open-minded about food. I know, it’s a bit hypocritical for the vegetarian to say that, but at least I’ve tried the meat thing and know it’s not for me.
The worst case scenario I can think of for trying something new is that you don’t like it (barring the scenarios where people discover unknown allergies). And there’s a simple method called “regurgitation” that can help you solve even the worst tasting food. So the next time someone offers you ice cream with olives, chocolate with chummus, or pickled herring with tomato sauce, close your eyes, hold your nose, and take a bite. You’ll probably like it...and if not, have a napkin ready for spitting into. :)

0 original thoughts out there

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger Listed on BlogShares