Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Or Maybe I Just Hate Being Told What To Do

An essay due today and I still can't decide on a direction I like. My teacher gave us a topic. "Write about a neighborhood," she said. I cringed. You can't just hand out topics, I thought, that's completely unfair! And to boost, she gave us one of the most cliched topics of all. Here I am, still trying to figure out what my style is, and I have to tackle one of the big topics. Having to write about neighborhoods is like a new, unknown band covering Hotel California. You know that no matter how well they practice and how much effort they put into it, they just won't be able to do it because the original is so awesome. I did however recently discover Susan Tedeschi's cover of Don't Think Twice, It's All Right. She doesn't do the song right in the Dylan way, but as a stand alone song, her version rocks. Plus, it's one of my favorite Dylan songs, so she'd good in my books. Okay, neighborhoods. I'm on to start my third essay on the topic in hopes that this time, I manage to pull something that will be enjoyable to any reader together.

5 original thoughts out there

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is Tedeschi Jewish?

Thursday, February 16, 2006 5:44:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

inevitably, the first thought that comes to mind when someone mentions a neighborhood is Mr. Rodgers- i always wanted to ride that trolley into that land of make believe. thinking back, it was a very slow paced show, and the characters werent that appealing- but at the time it was cool.
and about covers- some are good- but i think they reflects a lack of origionality to a certain extent.
i personally hate the covers that sound similar to the origional that u just sit there trying to find the one annoying note that is off- pure discordance

Thursday, February 16, 2006 12:15:00 PM  
Blogger BrownsvilleGirl said...

But Xvi, I wasn't writing a composition. I'm taking a 300 level wiriting course on the informal essay.

And as for covers, clearly no one has hear the covers Deon (I don't know his name, but it sounds like Deon and I heard both these covers last Wednesday and nearly had a heartattack) did of Crossroads and Statesboro Blues. Who would take such brilliant songs and mangle them? And as for new bands, it's not that they can't twist a good song in a good way, it's just that when a song has reached perfection, no matter how hard they try it, it won't even sound decent.
And if Tedeschi is Jewish, I'm marrying her. :)

Thursday, February 16, 2006 2:07:00 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

k i just heard an amazing cover of John Waite's "i ain't missing you" by Tyler Hilton and i am now pro-covers. as long as they sound diff

Thursday, February 16, 2006 8:24:00 PM  
Blogger BrownsvilleGirl said...

And Adam, I'll tell you, I love assignments like that. The other day, the prof. said, "pick an inanimate object from your childhood or something in this room and freewrite." I ended up writing about having had braces. Everyone's approach was different and interesting. This assignment was very specific, I had to either write about a neighborhood or compare two neighborhoods. It wasn't "neighborhood" it was "about a neighborhood." And my essay sucks. :( But my word is ogedofu which sounds like ug, tofu. And I don't like tofu...even though I'm a vegetarian and all.

Friday, February 17, 2006 3:36:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger Listed on BlogShares