Tuesday, July 25, 2006

I Want to Have My Own Tzaddik Baby

While I'm temporarily allowing my blog to be captured and occupied by my undying desire to have a baby, I am going to follow yesterday's post with another about--guess!--a baby. Last summer one of my cousins had a baby boy. The first time he and I spent quality time together was at his shalom zachar. Apparently, I wrote something about that on the blog last summer but saved it to draft. Here's an excerpt:
...But, over Shabbos I did get to hold my cousin's then three day old baby for over twenty minutes alone. Baruch HaShem, he is a stunning little amazing bundle of love. He and I were singing a song together. As in, I was singing him a song about himself. It went something like this, "whooooo has the most beautiful eyes? Oh, it's you, baby boy. Whooooo has the most scrumptious cheeks? Oh, it's you baby boy. Whooooo has the most happy smile? Oh, it's you, baby boy" and so on and so forth. What can I say? I was inspired.
Anyway, the baby and I spent tons of time together last summer (I would just hold him and let him sleep on me while we'd wait for the men to come home from shul Friday night or I'd go over to my aunt during the day since I was taking night classes and, again, hold him as he slept) and he never protested. This winter, when I stayed at my cousins in Israel, he was more than happy to hang out with me. But now? Now that he's here in America for the summer and I'm right nearby? He cries if I come too close to him, let alone pick him up! It's not me, of course, he cries when anyone but his mother picks him up. But still. Really. Me?!?
Luckily, my cousin is very attuned to her children and realized early on that her son is a pure tzaddik. He might not like going to strangers, but he loves kissing mezuzahs. So now it's very simple. You say (in baby talk voice), "who wants to go see mezuzahs?!" Then I cart him around from mezuzah to mezuzah bouncing up and down and singing while we go back and forth. It's a miracle. He's happy even though I'm holding him. I'm happy to be holding him and that he's happy. Plus, he's definitely on a derech shel tzeddek (I don't know if that's grammatically correct, but I gave it my best). And that's all I have to say.

3 original thoughts out there

Anonymous Anonymous said...

so eugene (kofman) and i were looking at things on line today, and we saw a picture of the ugliest baby. no really, it was horrible.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 11:58:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My toddler son thinks that hugging and kissing the Torah in shul is the best thing ever. I'm still gonna push him into pre-law or pre-med! :)

Thursday, July 27, 2006 12:27:00 PM  
Blogger BrownsvilleGirl said...

Aaaaw! Cuddly toddlers plus Torahs makes for a pretty combo, I would imagine. :)

Friday, July 28, 2006 4:04:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger Listed on BlogShares