Sunday, August 27, 2006

I keep recycling the same old thoughts

The best quote said this Shabbos goes to Zahava for: "I can't imagine how someone could be so exciting that you'd want to say, 'I want to spend the rest of my life with this person!'" But to put things into context, this is the same Zahava who said, "I still think marriage is overrated...and I will think it's overrated until I find someone I want to marry."
And in other news, I can't decide how I feel about Dylan's new song, "Someday Baby" and its similarities to Muddy Waters' "Trouble No More" of which there is an Allman Brothers cover that I just heard live a few nights ago. Dylan? Allman Brothers? Allow me to explain why I'm ambivalent about this. There I was, minding my own business and listening to "Modern Times" when the song "Someday Baby" started playing. And I heard...
I don't care what you do,
I don't care what you say
I don't care where you go or how long you stay
Someday baby, you ain't gonna worry po' me any more
...which sounded strikingly familiar. So I sat and I thought about where I had heard those lines before. Then it hit me: My Gregg Allman sings
Don't care how long you go,
I don't care how long you stay,
it's good kind treatment, bring you home someday.
Someday baby, you ain't gonna trouble, poor me, anymore.
in his song "Trouble No More." Only, "Trouble No More" is really a Muddy Waters song that the Allman Brothers like to cover. Now, I don't care if bands cover other bands' songs. I also don't care if bands take inspiration from other bands' songs. But when they take a whole song and just change some lines AND CALL IT SOMETHING ELSE, I get confused. Does Dylan not want me to think this is "Trouble No More?" He probably embraces the fact that it's inspired by Muddy Waters, and as the friend who sent me the album (and he's a lot more Dylan-knowledgeable than I am) said, "I wouldn't be surprised if Bob borrowed from Muddy Waters. He's a huge fan, Muddy Waters has been spoken of quite a bit on Bob's XM show." But I don't know. I really don't know. Why didn't he just call it "Trouble No More?"

3 original thoughts out there

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just going to post about this, but I've decided to link to it instead.

Every time I see the Bob Dylan/iPod and I'm in the other room, I get all thrown off.

Monday, September 04, 2006 9:30:00 AM  
Blogger BrownsvilleGirl said...

I know! I get thrown off too! :)

Monday, September 04, 2006 11:30:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

'Somebay Baby' is a traditional song that has been covered time and time again since the dawn of recorded music. By Sleepy John Estes notably but I think Lucille Bogan or was it Memphis Minne? Albert King did a great version in the 70's. So, no I don't think Dylan doesn't not want you to think it's 'Trouble No More" cause it isn't. It's 'Someday Baby' which Muddy Waters must have appropriated and turned into 'Trouble No More" at some point in time.

Here's a sample of 'Somebay Baby' recorded appx 75 years ago.

http://www.amazon.com/Aint-Gonna-Worried-More-1929-1941/dp/B000000G8G/sr=1-1/qid=1171382847/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-1327074-6638516?ie=UTF8&s=music

Tuesday, February 13, 2007 11:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger Listed on BlogShares