Wednesday, November 02, 2005

In The Middle of the Ni-ight

I know I already posted twice tonight, but those were nothing more than fluff. I present you with the real stuff:

I was trying to sing River of Dreams on my drive into the city the other day. The songs on the radio kept distracting me from the way the tune goes, so I shut it and continued to sing. It was then, in the silence of my car, that I realized no matter how few distractions I have (y'know, because driving isn't much of one), I will always sing off key.

Now, I happen to think this is something very unfair. Everyone should be able to hear a tune and sing it back. We don't all have to have beautiful voices, but why should some of us be deprived of the pleasure of singing because it's more a painful experience than a pleasure? And if I am doomed to sing off key for the rest of my life, why am I also not tone deaf? Seriously--being aware of a lacking you posses is almost as bad as lacking it!

Another task I attempted on that drive in was to see how often I could repeat the same off key lines in the wrong order before getting annoyed with myself. I was forced to repeat the same lines over and over again because just like I couldn't remember the proper order, I couldn't remember the other lines. I found out that I can sing the same few lines over and over a bajillion and a half times without even thinking about when it'd end. The moral of the story is that either I am indefatigable or Billy Joel's lyrics are just that classic.

10 original thoughts out there

Blogger MC Aryeh said...

can't they both be true(your indefatigablity and B.J.'s lyrical dexterity)? The River Of Dreams is one of my favorites of his. Shoulda been a #1, but only made it to #3 on the pop charts...

Thursday, November 03, 2005 12:43:00 AM  
Blogger BrownsvilleGirl said...

I wouldn't trust the greatness of a song to the charts. :) It's a classic.

Thursday, November 03, 2005 1:02:00 AM  
Blogger null said...

I have been a horrible singer my whole life :( and I've never had the respect of my fellow man. Keep on singin'. You go girl.

Thursday, November 03, 2005 9:12:00 AM  
Blogger BrownsvilleGirl said...

Wow, Zombie...How'd you know?

The other song I was attempting was Hotel California.

Hehe.

And Ben--at least you can dance! I can't even do that.

Thursday, November 03, 2005 10:32:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've attempted "we didn't start the fire" twice in karaoke bars and both times I'm not as good as I thought I was gonna be. Once I also tried to do "pretty fly for a white guy" but I ended up butchering it because I had "pretty fli for a rabbi" by wierd al yankovic in my head. The two are close, but subtly different. It was a disaster.

Thursday, November 03, 2005 1:50:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can we never use post 1982 Billy Joel and "classic" in the same sentence again? Didn't River of Dreams come out during the "I was so desperate I even drank furniture polish" part of his career?

I will now soak myself in kerosene and light myself on fire.

Thursday, November 03, 2005 5:39:00 PM  
Blogger BrownsvilleGirl said...

Yeah, Elster, I'm with the Zombie on that one.

Thursday, November 03, 2005 7:51:00 PM  
Blogger MC Aryeh said...

River Of Dreams came out in 1993. Classic BJ would be Captain Jack, I've Loved These Days, Scenes From An Italian Restaurant, etc., but I like most of his 80s and 90s output too...

Thursday, November 03, 2005 11:53:00 PM  
Blogger BrownsvilleGirl said...

Okay, okay, I should have been clear.

By "classic," I meant "really good." It's a word I use to mean "that's amazing." But still, I was born in '85. '93 Billy Joel is classic for me in the proper usage of classic.

:)

Friday, November 04, 2005 12:25:00 AM  
Blogger MC Aryeh said...

No promises. B.J., B.J., B.J.

Sunday, November 06, 2005 4:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger Listed on BlogShares