Sunday, December 11, 2005

I Hate Gulliver and His Travels

I've taken to reading Gulliver's Travels in private. It's not that I'm ashamed of the novel; it's that wherever I take it people pop out of no where to tell me how much they love the book. If I were a Gulliver's Travels fan, I wouldn't mind. But see, I'm not. I hate Gulliver's Travels. Between Gulliver's boringness as a character, the bodily-functions humor, and the meticulous details about insignificant matters, I am going out of my mind.

I have to read Swift's book for my Age of Satire lit. class and most of the class has already agreed that it's a boring and rather arduous read. It's just that the others aren't getting it. While reading in Starbuck's two weeks ago (I'm not that slow a reader, I just dread picking up the book), the guy sitting at the table next to mine (my cousin thought he looked like that dude from Rat Race who pierced his own tongue...I don't remember the movie) looked over and asked what I was reading.
"Gulliver's Travels."
"Really? I love that book!"
"Oh, that's nice. I hate it."
Um...Awwwwwwwwwwwwkward!
Precisely.

It took until about this week for me to realize that everyone loves the children's version! Well, duh! Why I hadn't thought of that earlier, I'm not sure. But from now on, when people say, "oh I just looooooooooooove Gulliver's Travels," I will say, "that's wonderful. But you probably didn't read the real one...and the real one sucks as far as I'm concerned."

8 original thoughts out there

Blogger BrownsvilleGirl said...

Xvi: Swift is hilarious. A Modest Proposal? Genius. Just Gulliver's Travels is so...well, yeah.

Adams: I saw the Gulliver's Travels Wishbone. Did you have Wishbone in Ireland? :)

Sunday, December 11, 2005 11:13:00 PM  
Blogger BrownsvilleGirl said...

Hahahahhhahhaaahahha!

Well, I've met Americans my age who don't remember Wishbone and it wasn't even on cable! Shocking? I know.

Monday, December 12, 2005 6:48:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Don't ya hate when you have to read boring as books? I am glad I didn't this semester.. Teehee

Monday, December 12, 2005 11:01:00 AM  
Blogger BrownsvilleGirl said...

EDDIE IS PLAYED BY WISHBONE???

Monday, December 12, 2005 6:23:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

eddie = wishbone?
i dont know why that is awesome but it deff is an interesting piece of trivial knowledge- where did u find that bit?

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 2:51:00 PM  
Blogger BrownsvilleGirl said...

Fraiser ran from 1993-2004.
Wishbone ran from 1995-1998.

According to imdb, Eddie was played by Moose only to be replaced by his son Enzo the Dog when he got too old.

Also according to imdb and wikipedia, Wishbone was played by Soccer the Dog.

What's up with all these dogs being called "the Dog?" Is that to clarify in case we think there's actually a person named Moose?

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 8:28:00 AM  
Blogger MC Aryeh said...

There are actually people named Moose. I know three.

Just be gald you are not reading Moby Dick - 11 chapters describing the insides of a whale vs. a boring guy and his travels with big and little people? Gulliver wins every time...

word verification: ysexysfv . What is sfv?

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 11:19:00 AM  
Blogger BrownsvilleGirl said...

I think ysexysfv means "you sexy single female version!" :) I'm going to ohxoixcq now.

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 11:59:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger Listed on BlogShares