Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Let's Go Get Your Boot

I wore a dark grey skirt and black top on my first day of class. This might seem insignificant but when put into context it fits just perfectly. I've always been excited for my first day of school. This wasn't a very popular position (it still isn't with some people), so I used to hide it. The truth, though, is that I would plan my first day outfit for at least a week leading up to the day. I used to get excited to find out what my teachers would be like, who my classmates would be, if anyone in my writing classes would have the talent and drive to take them far after school, etc. By the time August came around I was sick of the summer and dying for school to redeem me. And this semester? Blech. I feel grey and done with everything. It might help if it were sunny, but it isn't so I wouldn't know. I keep getting the image of a picture from a book I liked a lot when I was younger. It's raining very hard and after having a terrible day, Grover steps right into a piece of gum so sticky that he can't dislodge his rainboot from its grasps. He ends up just trudging the rest of the way home with one rainboot and one very soggy foot.
Grover sat in his mommy's lap and told her everything. Then he began to cry. "My bad, awful day made me feel bad and awful."

She gave him a hug. "Bad days happen to everyone," she said. "When one happens to you, just keep doing your best. And never let a bad day make you feel bad about yourself!"

She rubbed his furry head dry with a towel.

"Come on, dear. Let's go get your boot."

Not that I'm having a bad day, but I just found that excerpt while searching for the picture I was talking about and thought it was great. Have a great day.

0 original thoughts out there

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger Listed on BlogShares