Tuesday, May 16, 2006

An Ode to the Apostrophe Protection Society

When I read the word "you're" my eyes scan it and my brain translates it to mean "you are." When I read "it's" I think, "it is." Therefore, when I am speaking to friends online and they say things like, "when is you're thing tomorrow?" or "it's round cheeks are part of what makes babies a member of the Adorable Species." or "your so beautiful." it really annoys me. Want to know why? It annoys me because the person-writing-its laziness means that I have to re-read a sentence to finally understand it properly.
For this reason, I am referring all of you--you know who you are--to the Apostrophe Protection Society's website. And while you're busy reviewing the details, I will elope with the chairman and set up a "their, there, they're" awareness group with him.
Ah yes, long after posting this (yes, this is an edit), I was working on something in Microsoft Word. While finishing my sentence about "your youngest brother" who was "sleeping late," I noticed a green squiggly underneath my "your." I right clicked it and, as you can see to the left, what came up was the suggestion that I change my "your" to a "you're." I'm sorry Microsoft Word, I know you're just trying to help and that your intentions are positive, but if you don't mind my saying--what is wrong with you? "Because You're youngest brother?" What could that even mean? Seriously! Sometimes with Microsoft Word, I just don't get it...

7 original thoughts out there

Blogger Unknown said...

Yay!!!! Someone else who hates bad grammar!

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 3:19:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dont' elope with the apostrophe guy. Youl'l have much more fun reforming a hot-but-clueless apostrophic ingnoramus, like me.

We can go to the park, or stroll through some garden's and see the flowers their.

Maybe well take a boat ride and grab some snack's by the waters' edge.

Hope to see you they're!

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 3:22:00 PM  
Blogger null said...

That is soooo wierd. I was just reading a book about proper punctuation: "Eats shoots and leaves." (The title is based on an old panda joke.) The woman who wrote it is a major apostrophile.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 5:20:00 PM  
Blogger BrownsvilleGirl said...

Oh Monsey Boy, your offer sounds so appealing, I'm finding it hard to resist.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 2:01:00 AM  
Blogger Ezzie said...

Ah, one of my favorite piss-offs. It's worse than sepllnig wrods wrnog as lnog as you get the frist and lsat lettres rgiht. :)

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 4:09:00 AM  
Blogger Sarah Likes Green said...

Excellent, another person who hates bad grammar (wrong grammar/spelling).

And Microsoft should be ashamed!

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 5:00:00 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

haha -ur a wacko tzvi

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 6:46:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger Listed on BlogShares