Monday, May 08, 2006

Oh, The Joys of Being Awesome

After putting the last of my six quarters into the one hour meter I parked at, I turned back to my car in order to take out my bag and books. While trying to avoid the trappy holes in the grid above the subway so that my heels wouldn't get stuck (actually, once I was on a date and my heel got stuck in the subway grate and I walked clear out of my shoe!), I realized there was someone talking to me.
"...be parked here for a while?"
I looked at the man standing to my left and asked him to repeat what he had said.
"I was just saying that if you're going to be parked for a while, I have a spot you can take. It doesn't need quarters."
"Wait--you're parked and leaving now?" I asked.
"Yeah."
"And you have a broken meter?"
"Well, no...it's not a meter spot. I'm parked just around the corner, if you want to drive around and take my spot I'll wait for you to come and not let the other cars passing see that I'm going to pull out."
"Wow...thanks! You're really just leaving now?"
"Yeah."
After he told me what color car he had and which side of the street it was parked on and where in relation to the corner it was, I got in my car and drove around the block. Sure enough, he waved me down when he saw me coming around.
Now, I hear a lot that New Yorkers are mean or unfriendly and I really just think they have a bad rap. So lest you think this story is an isolated incident, I will relay what happened to me last Monday.
Driving down the one patch of 69th Street where there are two hour meters, I noticed a man loading a ladder into the back of a truck. Pulling over, I rolled down my window to ask if he was pulling out.
"No, no. In five minutes."
"Okay," I said and told him I was fine waiting.
"Pull around the block once and by then I'll be done. You can have the spot."
"You'll wait for me, right?"
He and his partner laughed and agreed that they would.
I drove around the block because I had been making it hard for cars to get by, but I didn't really think they would keep the spot for me. As I drove slowly back to where their truck had been, I saw them wave to me and move to the car. My new friend got into the driver's seat and the other one came around to my window.
"This meter broke," he said. "That okay?"
My heart, which had been beating rapidly ever since I had given up the sure spot for a chance that they would be saving it for me, stopped its beating momentarily to jump for joy.
"A broken meter? I think I can handle that!"
And so you see the moral of my story is either that New Yorkers are awesome or HaShem loves me...some of the time.

3 original thoughts out there

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tis sad when us New Yorkers have to rejoice much over broken meters and found parking spaces. We all need to move to the suberbs.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 12:26:00 PM  
Blogger BrownsvilleGirl said...

Hahahahahahahahhaha!
So Elster, I was thinking about how it's possible that we drivers are suburbanites (which would explain our driving into the city and stuff) and that my story doesn't really make any cityers seem nice.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 4:38:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i mean, it was nice of the guy to give you his spot...

After putting the last of my six quarters into the one hour meter I parked at...

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 1:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger Listed on BlogShares