Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Like a Gypsy Out on the Road

I'm just a wee bit bursting with excitement over something I found this week.
Mir and I went hiking at Buttermilk Falls in Nyack this Monday. Buttermilk Falls was apparently Teddy Roosevelt's favorite place to think. None of the trail books I've read that in mentioned when it was his favorite place to think, but I think it's just plain ol' awesome anyway. So anyway, I thought that if I'd follow the road in the other direction, it would loop around to the other side of Route 59 and I wouldn't have to drive in the wrong direction, turn around in a parking lot, and then go the correct way to get home.
Well, the road doesn'tmeet back up with 59, but something amazing happened. Mir and I stumbled upon Blauvelt State Park. There were four cars in the parking lot, which left barely enough room for mine. Here's the exciting bit: it's totally undiscovered! All the Jews in Monsey who go hiking go to Kakiat or Bear Mountain. I don't mind hiking with other Jews, but when I hike, I choose comfort over looks and generally don't like seeing people I know from Shul.
I drove up to the Palisades Visitor Center yesterday to get some trail maps (and a book on waterfalls in the Hudson Region and a book on trailblazing) and lo and behold, one of the Blauvelt State Park trails can loop around to Buttermilk Falls! IT'S A MIRACLE!
In other News of Awesomeness, the Bring Back Beards Campaign official Facebook group has reached 137 members--and I don't even know over half the members.

4 original thoughts out there

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i feel so left out of the hiking club!

Wednesday, December 27, 2006 10:55:00 AM  
Blogger BrownsvilleGirl said...

Do you wanna hike on Thursday?

Wednesday, December 27, 2006 11:05:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe I'll join, if it's after 12:00.

Thursday, December 28, 2006 12:44:00 AM  
Blogger BrownsvilleGirl said...

!!!
Mir, why didn't you call? Zvi and I hiked after 1.

Thursday, December 28, 2006 3:27:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger Listed on BlogShares