Tuesday, August 07, 2007

What Can I Say?

Sometimes, you get a song stuck in your head. You sing it walking down the street. You sing it when you're alone. You even find yourself singing it when other songs are playing on the radio. A sad situation, yes, but not as sad as when you get just a line or two of a song stuck in your head. Then it's "you told me good-bye, how was I to know you didn't mean good-bye, you meant please don't let me go? I was having a high time, living the good life" all day long. Even more unfortunate, if you can stand to hear this, is when you get a word stuck in your head. Over and over the word twirls around your mind dancing with different meanings that you're not sure but think it could possibly work with. Then it settles on your tongue and you find yourself mouthing the word 3600 times an hour.
The last time I was afflicted with single word lodging was when I was doing a two-hour drive home from New Jersey. Gubernatorial somehow popped into my brain and I couldn't figure out what it meant. The more I mouthed it the more I realized how poppy and exciting it was to say. Gubernatorial stuck. Luckily, that was only a two hour affair--something I can't say about today's word.
Today's word was Schlumberger. Schlumberger Limited, the oilfield service company. You see, one Friday about a month ago, I traded some Schlumberger. That night my grandfather mentioned the company. Only, he pronounced the French owned and operated company "Schlumber-jhay," a far-cry from my American-sounding pronunciation: Schlumberger. And so all today whenever I had a free moment to think or wonder or daydream, all my brain would produce was, "Schlumberger, Schlumber-jhay, Schlumber-jhay? Schlumber-jhay...Schlumberger!" Etc.
It's been a long day.

Labels: , ,

9 original thoughts out there

Blogger sara said...

my first thought when i started reading was "dina is CRAZY! i love her!"...
and then i realized that i knew exactly what you were talking about... so were twins and i still love you

Wednesday, August 08, 2007 12:13:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you love her so much, then why don't you marry her?
(Sorry, I couldn't resist)

Wednesday, August 08, 2007 4:08:00 PM  
Blogger sara said...

bc that would be incest... duh- the first part was that we were twins! mir learn how to read!

Thursday, August 09, 2007 12:25:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm trying. I just got through "Hop on Pop," by Dr. Suess, so by the end of the summer I will be ready to read 4 letter words, and then I can read words like twins,read,book, and many others.

Thursday, August 09, 2007 11:15:00 AM  
Blogger sara said...

HAHa mir- ur hysterical. i would say i love you- but then i would be obligated to marry you... and Doni might have a bit of an issue with that

Thursday, August 09, 2007 12:39:00 PM  
Blogger BrownsvilleGirl said...

I'm sure Doni wouldn't mind if you and Mir had a summer fling.

Thursday, August 09, 2007 2:40:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

considering the fact that he's never home, he probably wouldn't even know. wow, after rereading that, it sounds like I do really bad things when he's not around. I don't, I don't! I promise!

Friday, August 10, 2007 12:03:00 AM  
Blogger sara said...

i guess it is crunch time in summer fling land... it can be another thing to check off my list of things to do this summer. what'dya say mir?

Friday, August 10, 2007 1:11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha...funny song to get stuck in your head

I get alota songs stuck in my head like that Schlumburger hillarious


(=

Thursday, December 13, 2007 1:46:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger Listed on BlogShares