Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Why I Loved Northanger Abbey

Volume 1
Chapter 1
Page 1
....but the Morlands had little other right to the word, for they were in general very plain, and Catherine, for many years of her life, as plain as any. She had a thin awkward figure, a sallow skin without color, dark lank hair, and strong features;--so much for her person;--and not less unpropitious for heroism seemed her mind.

I read that and couldn't help thinking, "wow...this book's about me!" Although when I was younger I was convinced that I was special and that I'd be a heroine one day of my own really cool and really famous story. Then I grew up. :)

3 original thoughts out there

Blogger NafNaf said...

While people usually make fun of Austen novels as unrealistic and pretentious; I find myself making "adventures" out of ordinary events (ala Catherine) all the time... good read (although Mansfield Park is my favorite)

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 3:07:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you don't have colorless skin, it's just light. also, your figure is thin, but not awkward and your hair is fuller than you think (at least I think so).

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 3:34:00 PM  
Blogger BrownsvilleGirl said...

To my dear friend, not when I was younger! The description is of her when she was young (and that's what I looked like when I was young!).

And Naphtoli, have you read her juvenilia? They're hilarious!

(WORD: wigah. Something seems wrong with that...)

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 4:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger Listed on BlogShares