Sunday, January 01, 2006

Al haRegel

I have some pictures, and then I'll tell my story of the day. :)
First, there was waiting with Randy to board the plane. Then, there are the mushky-pushkies I'm staying with. The feet below are brought to you by my baby Yehuda. And I can claim him because I was his assistant Ima today.
So then I went to the Kotel.
I met Moishele for dinner and we did a little Old City rambling.
Chag sameach!
I went to visit my other Israeli cousins this afternoon. One of my cousins wasn't even talking the last time I was in Israel, but this time she is just at the age when she doesn't stop talking. She and I were sitting in her bedroom where she was flipping from bed to bed (it's a four bed pull out!) and I noticed the pretty light fixture.
"Rachel, I love your light! The butterfly is so pretty."
"It helps my chalomot."
"What does that mean?" (Temporary brain-lapse.)
"Dreamot. Chalomot is in English and dreamot is b'Ivrit."
"Haha, Rachel, I think it's the opposite."
"No, it's not."
"Okay. Y'know what? I don't know Ivrit, can you teach me some words?"
She taught me peh (mouth), af (nose), and aynayim (eyes).
"What's this?" I asked, lifting my foot.
"Rrrrrregel."
"Regel?"
I looked over at her, because all I heard was laughter, and saw that she was in a fit of hysteria.
"NO! Rrrrrregel!" She repeated, rolling her reish.
"Right, regel!"
Hysteria ensued.
"What?" I said, "I'm saying it right! Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrregel?"
At this point, of course, she couldn't stop laughing.
It took about 18 tries of me rolling the reish sound around on my tongue before I finally stopped because it was hopeless (although I'm pretty sure that I was doing it well). She was pretty adorable, though.

6 original thoughts out there

Blogger Sara said...

do u remember when nechama and sara s. taught us head shoulders knees and toes in hebrew and yiddish? i guess it went straight over your head- but we all learn these valuable words sooner or later

Sunday, January 01, 2006 3:48:00 PM  
Blogger BrownsvilleGirl said...

Very funny, Sara. :) I knew those words...they were just the ones she chose to teach me. Numbers, on the other hand, numbers I need to know.

Sunday, January 01, 2006 3:57:00 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

how 'bout try for...naked elbows?

Sunday, January 01, 2006 4:52:00 PM  
Blogger MC Aryeh said...

What are mushky pushkies? How many babies do you plan on appropriating on this trip?

Monday, January 02, 2006 2:54:00 AM  
Blogger BrownsvilleGirl said...

Mushy pushkies are blobs of fat shaped like miniature humans (aka babies).

:)

Monday, January 02, 2006 2:57:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

one, i love that picture of randy. so him. two, i hate how americans speak hebrew. it drives me up the wall with their american accents. but i hate it also when americans try and speak spanish. mainly because they can't roll the r... so get to practicing!

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 1:38:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger Listed on BlogShares